The Gaza “March for return” was anything but peaceful. During the march on the border there were violent riots and terror attacks. IDF troops faced gunshots, infiltration attempts, damage to security infrastructure, firebombs, rocks, and rolling burning tires. While Hamas, and anti-Israel organizations, lied to the world that it was a “peaceful” protest, it was really a sinister terror attack.
This is an Islamic Jihadist genocidal call to annihilate the entire Jewish people. Chanting “Remember Khaybar, O Jews. Muhammad’s army will return”. This chant refers to a Muslim slaughter of Jews in ancient Khaybar.
This was not a protest this was an organized terror attack
The IDF operated in strict accordance with the Rules of Engagement, firing only when necessary and avoiding civilians strategically placed by Hamas in harm’s way. IDF operational activity prevented the Hamas terror organization’s objective to harm security infrastructure and attempts to violate Israeli sovereignty. Don’t take Hamas’s propaganda as fact.
The participants of the violent riots are situating themselves in a dangerous area, thus putting themselves in harm’s way.
Update From the IDF Spokesperson
For several weeks, the IDF has been receiving information on Hamas’ intentions to take advantage of the event to lay IEDs and to initiate terror attacks. Terrorists recently placed four mines alongside the fence with Gaza. In addition, there have been hundreds of events of stone throwing and lobbing of Molotov cocktails.
Hamas is attempting to redirect the frustration of the citizens of Gaza with its failures towards Israel.
The area surrounding the fence is a combat zone against terrorist organizations. Hamas is aware of this, and therefore sends women and children into the area, hoping to provoke the IDF into uncontrolled shooting resulting in multiple cases of innocent casualties. Most of the participants in the demonstration (a total of 30,000 participants) were women and children, while all the casualties are of combat age, aged between 18 and 30, and for the most part are known members of terrorist organizations.
Hamas attempted to repeat a previous attempt of placing an IED in a flag, similar to an attempt several days ago, which wounded four soldiers.
IDF fire was controlled and in accordance with standard procedures. It is known where every bullet hit. Claims of hundreds of Palestinian casualties refer for the most part to inhalation of smoke or as the result of riot control procedures. Hamas intends to turn the fence area into an area of constant confrontation from now until Nakba Day on 15 May. The IDF won’t permit this, and if the events continue will be forced to attack Hamas and Palestinian Islamic Jihad targets in the Strip.
The State of Israel has no interest in harming innocents, neither women nor children. We are acting only to prevent terror and violation of Israeli sovereignty. It should be remembered that this is an attempt to violate an undisputed sovereign border. No country would permit this.
Claims that this is a demonstration are baseless. In what demonstration do activists draw weapons and shoot at the other side? In yesterday’s events this occurred twice. Four IEDs were placed, hundreds or Molotov cocktails were thrown, including attempts to ignite Israeli mechanical equipment that was parked on our side of the fence.
According to an investigation by the IDF and Israel secret service, 10 of yesterday’s casualties are terrorists with a background of terrorist activity.
1. Masab Salul, a 23-year-old resident of Zuwayda, a member of the military wing of Hamas. Carried out a shooting attack against IDF forces along with another terrorist in the northern Gaza Strip.
2. Sari Abu ‘Odeh – 28 years old, resident of Beit Hanun, Hamas military activist in the Beit Hanoun Battalion, active in Nohba.
3. Jihad Farina, 35, resident of Sheikh Radwan, commander of a company in the military wing of Hamas.
4. Ahmad ‘Odeh, 19 years old, resident of Gaza City, Hamas military activist in the Shati Brigade.
5. Hamdan Abu ‘Amseh, 25, a resident of Beit Hanoun, a Hamas operative.
6. Mahmoud Rahmi, 33, a resident of Saja’iya Turkman, a Hamas activist.
7. Muhammad Abu ‘Amru, 27, a resident of Saja’iya Turkman, a Hamas military operative in excavating terror tunnels.
8. A’ Fatah ‘Nabi, 20, resident of Beit Lahiya, active in the military wing of Hamas.
9) Ibrahim Abu Sha’er, 29, a resident of Rafah, a global jihad activist.
10. Jihad Zuhair Salman Abu Gammus – 30 years old, resident of Bani Suheila, an activist of of the terror group al-Aqsa Martyrs’ Brigades.